Search

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

World, meet Chris Pine. Chris Pine, meet the World


There are very few people who can say they were Brad Pitt fans before his role in Thelma And Louise. There are fewer people who can remember anything Ryan Gosling did before The Notebook. But in just 3 DAYS when the world finally meets Chris Pine as Captain James Kirk I will finally no longer have to explain to people who Chris Pine is. Chris Pine has been the object of my obsession for 3 years, ever since he stole my heart with his monologue in Smoking Aces. Unrecognizable as a gun toting, balls out insane red-neck name Darwin Tremor, sporting what is truly a historical accent, Pine shoots and kills Ben Affleck and then proceeds to have a conversation with his corps. This moment in my mind solidified Pine as remarkable. And since then I have watched his career closely and laid in wait for the rest of the world to catch up.

Of course Smokin’ Aces was not the first film for Pine. Before slaying Affleck, Pine had won the hearts of tween girls opposite Anne Hathaway in Princess Diaries 2. Interestingly enough I didn’t like Pine in this movie. In fact, I thought for a long time that Mia (Anne Hathaway) should have ended up with the other guy. Then one day I checked the deleted scenes from the movie and found a wonderful and wrongfully un-used clip of Chris Pine doing impersonations of different suitors. What I love about Chris Pine is that you are drawn in by the packaging, a tall beautiful representation of a man and then his shear talent bites you. Pine is undeniably brilliant and despite his handsome exterior is very versatile. He can be both the prince of your dreams or your worse nightmare.

In between PD2 and Aces, Pine played opposite Lindsey Lohan in the totally forgettable Just my Luck. There is no point to EVER see this movie. Pine is grossly under –utilized in this film and what’s more, he looks sick. So much emphasis is placed on Lohan that Chris Pine looks like a ghost neck to the cheeto glow of Lohan ( Though we might all look pasty next to Lohan.) The one positive thing is the physical comedy exhibited by Pine again convincing me of his potential.

Apparently J.J. Abrams and I have similar trains of thought. Although both Mike Vogel and Joshua Jackson auditioned for the role of Kirk, Abrams saw something in Pine. What is surprising is that Pine almost turned it down to star in another film. Had it not been at the encouragement from his sister we might be watching Pacey Winter boldly go where no man has gone before. Along with other personal favs, Zachary Quinto, ( You know him from Heroes, I know him from VH1s short lived So Notorious) and John Cho, the man who first uttered the term "MILF", This is only the begging for Pine and I couldn’t be happier.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I almost didn't recognize him! He was a crazy hottie in Smokin Aces. Weird but good movie

    ReplyDelete